Thursday, November 29, 2012

Representative Profile


I asked myself what would be an interesting topic on which to do my Representative Profile. I even consulted the brilliant mind of my wife to get some ideas. After many ideas where thrown out onto the table I decided the topic of choice would be Adoption. I have had friends and family adopt children and I had also met someone new in my life which became the subject of this topic. I wanted to find out the reasons, route, and steps it took for the adoptions.

It turned out that a very small few actually took the needed steps to adopt children. Two to three percent made these steps of the 30 percent that considered adoption. I found out there are different organizations to which you can go through to adopt children. Public to private organizations that varied in the steps and ways to go through the process, some would allow prospect parents to come and interact and observe children before they decided if they wanted to adopt. Others you would simply see a picture and read information about the child online.  It turned out that more adoptions were made through the program where parents could come and interact with the children first, even though such organizations receive criticism saying future parents are treating children like objects they’re shopping for.

In the end my subjects made the choice to go through a private company and adopted two children in the course of five years. I enjoyed learning more about this subject and meeting the wonderful people that made the decision to adopt. After learning how many people actually go through with adoption I hope the number will increase and more children will find loving homes to which to spend their lives.

No comments: